What To Do With Electrical Grounding In A 1950s Home? Denver Electrician, CO

– Today’s question was, “I have a 1950’s home, what do I do about grounding?”

First, you’d need to determine what kind of wiring and grounding you’ve got. A quick check you can do is look at the outlets – are they 2-prong or 3-prong? If they’re 2-prong, they are not grounded.

It’s really important to note that while you could replace the outlet, you might not actually be grounded. To be properly grounded, you need to have a ground wire that runs to the branch circuit to the panel, then to a branch rod.

While you can retrofit a ground into an older house, proper grounding needs to be done throughout the house. As you might imagine, this can get a little costly.

Article 210.8 of the National Electric Code On House Electrical Grounding states that you cannot have half of the house with grounds and the other half without a proper ground. In this instance, you MUST install GFI outlets. Comparatively, GFI’s are much less costly when compared to rewiring the entire house. These outlets cost around each and can

Interested in learning more, or scheduling a time for us to resolve your grounding issues? Give Peterson Electric a call at 720.641.8866 or visit our website at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *